We are all training for something, whether a PB at a 10K race, an ultra marathon or getting round a park run. Send us your favourite training tips and we’ll share them on our site. We might even try them ourselves!
To kick things off, here are ten things I know about running:
- You can take time to put on make up so you look great in your race photos, but you are wasting your time. All anyone ever notices is your smile.
- By all means take marathon training advice from a bloke who ran a sub 3 in his thirties and then retired from long distance. Just remember to take a large pinch of salt as well.
- All the training in the world won’t help you improve and perform if your diet is wrong.
- Your running shoes really matter. All the other gear is mainly about appearance (see 1).
- Running off road is wonderful for your strength, fitness and endurance, and even better for your spirits.
- Running cures and prevents more medical conditions than it causes.
- You can go out running with your mates for over twenty years and still not know anything about what they do for a living, but will know every aspect of their diet, training and favourite races.
- The hardest thing about running is getting out of the front door.
- Ultra running is the best because you are allowed to walk bits of it and eat pizza during the race.
- When you have just achieved a PB, the most hurtful thing anyone can say is ‘yeah but it was a downhill race’.
Long may you run!